Planet Igalia

December 08, 2019

Philippe Normand

HTML overlays with GstWPE, the demo

Once again this year I attended the GStreamer conference and just before that, Embedded Linux conference Europe which took place in Lyon (France). Both events were a good opportunity to demo one of the use-cases I have in mind for GstWPE, HTML overlays!

As we, at Igalia, usually have a booth at ELC, I thought a GstWPE demo would be nice to have so we can show it there. The demo is a rather simple GTK application presenting a live preview of the webcam video capture with an HTML overlay blended in. The HTML and CSS can be modified using the embedded text editor and the overlay will be updated accordingly. The final video stream can even be streamed over RTMP to the main streaming platforms (Twitch, Youtube, Mixer)! Here is a screenshot:

The code of the demo is available on Igalia’s GitHub. Interested people should be able to try it as well, the app is packaged as a Flatpak. See the instructions in the GitHub repo for more details.

Having this demo running on our booth greatly helped us to explain GstWPE and how it can be used in real-life GStreamer applications. Combining the flexibility of the Multimedia framework with the wide (wild) features of the Web Platform will for sure increase the synergy and foster collaboration!

As a reminder, GstWPE is available in GStreamer since the 1.16 version. On the roadmap for the mid-term I plan to add Audio support, thus allowing even better integration between WPEWebKit and GStreamer. Imagine injecting PCM audio coming from WPEWebKit into an audio mixer in your GStreamer-based application! Stay tuned.

by Philippe Normand at December 08, 2019 02:00 PM

December 04, 2019

Manuel Rego

Web Engines Hackfest 2020: New dates, new venue!

Igalia is pleased to announce the 12th annual Web Engines Hackfest. It will take place on May 18-20 in A Coruña, and in a new venue: Palexco. You can find all the information, together with the registration form, on the hackfest website: https://webengineshackfest.org/2020/.

Mission and vision

The main goal behind this event is to have a place for people from different parts of the web platform community to meet together for a few days and talk, discuss, draft, prototype, implement, etc. on different topics of interest for the whole group.

There are not many events where browser implementors from different engines can sit together and talk about their last developments, their plans for the future, or the controversial topics they have been discussing online.

However this is an event not only for developers, other roles that are part of the community, like people working on standards, are welcomed to the event.

It’s really nice to have people from different backgrounds and working on a variety of things around the web, to reach better solutions, enlighten the conversations and draft higher quality conclusions during the discussions.

We believe the combination of all these factors make the Web Engines Hackfest an unique opportunity to push forward the evolution of the web.

2020 edition

We realized that autumn is usually full of browser events (TPAC, BlinkOn, WebKit Contributors Meeting, … just to name a few), and most of the people coming to the hackfest are also attending some of them. For that reason we thought it would be a good idea to move the event from fall to spring, in order to better accommodate everyone’s schedules and avoid unfortunate conflicts or unnecessary hard choices. So next year the hackfest will happen on May from Monday 18th to Wednesday 20th (both days included).

At this stage the event is becoming popular and during the past three years we have been around 60-70 people. Igalia office has been a great venue for the hackfest during all this time, but on the last occasions we were using it as its full capacity. So this time we decided to move the hackfest to a new venue, which will allow us to grow to 100 or more participants, let’s see how things go. The venue would be Palexco, a lovely conferences building in A Coruña port, which is very close to the city center. We really hope you like the new place and enjoy it.

New venue: Palexco (picture by Jose Luis Cernadas Iglesias) New venue: Palexco (picture by Jose Luis Cernadas Iglesias)

Having more people and the new venue bring us lots of challenges but also new possibilities. So we’re changing a little bit the format of the event, we’ll have a first day in a more regular conference fashion (with some talks and lighting talks) but also including some space for discussions and hacking. And then the last 2 days will be more the usual unconference format with a bunch of breakout sessions, informal discussions, etc. We believe the conversations and discussions that happen during the hackfest are one of the best things of the event, and we hope this new format will work well.

Join us

Thanks to the changes on the venue, the event is no longer invitation-only (as it used to be). We’ll be still sending the invitations to the people usually interested on the hackfest, but you can already register by yourself just filling the registration form.

Soon we will open a call for papers for the talks, stay tuned! We’ll also have room for ligthing talks, so people attending can take advantage of them to explain their work and plans on the event.

Last but not least, Arm, Google and Igalia will be sponsoring 2020 edition, thank you very much! We hope more companies join the trend and help us to arrange the event with their support. If your company is willing to sponsor the hackfest, please don’t hesitate to contact us at hackfest@webengineshackfest.org.

Some historical information

Igalia has been organizing and hosting this event since 2009. Back then, the event was called the “WebKitGTK+ Hackfest”. The WebKitGTK+ project was, on those days, in early stages. There was lots of work to do around the project, and a few people (11 to be specific) decided to work together for a whole week to move the project forward. The event was really successful and it was happening on a similar fashion for 5 years.

On 2014 we decided to make broader the scope of the event and not restrict it to people working only on WebKitGTK+ (or WebKit), but open it to members from all parts of the web platform community (including folks working on other engines like Blink, Servo, Gecko). We changed the name to “Web Engines Hackfest”, we got a very positive response and the event has been running on yearly since then, growing more and more every year.

And now we’re looking forward to 2020 edition, in a new venue and with more people than ever. Let’s hope everything goes great.

December 04, 2019 11:00 PM

November 27, 2019

Jacobo Aragunde

Initialization of the Chromium extension API system

Chromium has infrastructure in place to extend the JavaScript API that is available to web clients that fulfill some conditions. Those web clients can be Chrome extensions, certain websites or local resources like the chrome:// pages. Also, different shell implementations can provide their own extensions. This is an overview of how it works, and what would be required for a custom shell implementation to provide its own API extensions.

Render process

In our previous notes about the Chromium initialization process, we had identified ChromeMainDelegate as the main initialization class. It creates an instance of ChromeContentRendererClient to setup the render process.

Two important classes related with the extension API system are to be initialized by the ChromeContentRendererClient: ExtensionsClient and ExtensionsRendererClient. Both are singletons, the content renderer client sets them up to contain the corresponding Chrome* implementations: ChromeExtensionsClient and ChromeExtensionsRendererClient.

ExtensionClients class diagram

The ExtensionsClient class maintains a list of ExtensionsAPIProvider objects. The constructor of the specific implementation of the client will create instances of the relevant ExtensionsAPIProvider and add them to the list by calling the parent method AddAPIProvider(). In the case of ChromeExtensionsClient, it will add CoreExtensionsAPIProvider and ChromeExtensionsAPIProvider.

ExtensionsAPIProvider class diagram

The purpose of the ExtensionAPIProvider objects is to act as a proxy to a set of json configuration files. On one hand, we have _api_features.json, _permission_features.json, _manifest_features.json and _behavior_features.json. These files are documented in _features.md, their purpose is to define the requirements to extension features. The first file is for access to API features: you specify in which contexts or for which kinds of extensions a certain API would be available. The next two files can limit extension usage of permission and manifest entries, and the last one for miscellaneous extension behaviors. The ExtensionAPIProvider class provides four methods to run the code autogenerated from these four files. Notice that not all of them are required.

The providers are later used by ExtensionsClient::CreateFeatureProvider. This method will be called with “api”, “permission”, “manifest” or “behavior” parameters, and it will run the corresponding method for every registered ExtensionsAPIProvider.

There is also a method called AddAPIJSONSources, where the *_features.json files are expected to be loaded into a JSONFeatureProviderSource. To be able to do that, the files should have been included and packed as resources in one of the shell’s .grd files.

The ExtensionAPIProvider class also proxies the json files that define the extended JS API features. These files are located together with the *_features.json files. The methods GetAPISchema and IsAPISchemaGenerated provide access to them.

If you are creating a custom shell, a correct BUILD.gn file should be placed together with the aforementioned json files, to generate the necessary code based on them. A production-level example is located at ./extensions/common/api/BUILD.gn, or a simpler one at ./extensions/shell/common/api/BUILD.gn for the app_shell.

The ExtensionsRendererClient contains hooks for specific events in the life of the renderer process.
It’s also the place where a specific delegate for the Dispatcher class is created, if needed. In this context, it’s interesting the call to RenderThreadStarted, where an instance of ChromeExtensionsDispatcherDelegate is created. The Chrome implementation of this delegate has many purposes, but in the context of the extension system, we are interested in the methods PopulateSourceMap, where any custom bindings can be registered, and RequireAdditionalModules, which can require specific modules from the module system.

Dispatcher (Delegate) class diagram

The DispatcherDelegate has mainly the purpose of fine-tuning the extension system by:
* Registering native handlers in the module system at RegisterNativeHandlers
* Injecting custom JS bindings and other JS sources in PopulateSourceMap
* Binding delegate classes to any extension API that needs them in InitializeBindingsSystem
* Require specific modules from the module system in RequireAdditionalModules. Otherwise, modules would be required by extensions, according to the permissions in their manifest, when they are enabled.

The specific case of the ChromeExtensionsDispatcherDelegate implements the first three methods, but not RequireAdditionalModules. This one could be added in a setup where extension APIs are expected to be used outside the context of an extension and, for that reason, there is not a manifest listing them.

Browser process

In the browser process, there is a related interface called ExtensionsBrowserClient, used for extensions to make queries specific to the browser process. In the case of Chrome, the implementation is called ChromeExtensionsClient and it has knowledge of profiles, browser contexts or incognito mode.

ExtensionsBrowserClient class diagram

Similarly to the ExtensionsClient in the render process, the ExtensionsBrowserClient maintains a list of ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider objects. The ChromeExtensionsClient instantiates two ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider, the Core ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider and the Chrome ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider, and adds them to the list to be used by the function RegisterExtensionFunctions, which calls a method of the same name for every registered ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider.

These objects are just expected to implement that method, which populates the registry with the functions declared by the API in that provider. This registry links the API with the actual native functions that implement it. From the point of view of the ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider:: RegisterExtensionFunctions, they just have to call the generated function GeneratedFunctionRegistry::RegisterAll(), which should have been generated from the json definition of the API.

A cheatsheet to define new extension APIs in custom shells

This is a summary of all the interfaces that must be implemented in a custom shell, and which files must be added or modified, to define new extension APIs.

  • Write your custom _api_features.json and a .json or .idl definition of the API.
  • Write your BUILD.gn so it triggers the necessary code generators for those files.
  • Add your _api_features.json as a resource of type “BINDATA” to one of the shell’s .grd files.
  • Implement your own ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider.
  • Implement your own ExtensionsBrowserClient and add the corresponding ExtensionsBrowserAPIProvider.
  • Implement your own ExtensionsAPIProvider.
  • Implement your own ExtensionsClient and add the corresponding ExtensionsAPIProvider.
  • Implement your own DispatcherDelegate.
  • Implement your own ExtensionsRendererClient and set the corresponding delegate to the Dispatcher.
  • Implement your API extending UIThreadExtensionFunction for every extension function you declared.
  • If the API is meant to be used in webpage-like contexts, it must be added to kWebAvailableFeatures in ExtensionBindingsSystem.

The contents of this post are available as a live document here. Comments and updates are welcome.

by Jacobo Aragunde Pérez at November 27, 2019 05:00 PM

November 25, 2019

Nikolas Zimmermann

Back in town

Welcome to my blog!

Finally I’m back after my long detour to physics :-)

Some of you might know that my colleague Rob Buis and me founded the ksvg project a little more than 18 years ago (announcement mail to kfm-devel) and met again after many years in Galicia last month.

by zimmermann@kde.org (Nikolas Zimmermann) at November 25, 2019 12:00 AM

November 13, 2019

Manuel Rego

Web Engines Hackfest 2019

A month ago Igalia hosted another edition of the Web Engines Hackfest in our office in A Coruña. This is my personal summary of the event, obviously biased as I’m part of the organization.

Talks

During the event we arranged six talks about a variety range of topics:

Emilio Cobos during his talk at the Web Engines Hackfest 2019 Emilio Cobos during his talk at the Web Engines Hackfest 2019

Web Platform Tests (WPT)

Apart from the talks, the main and most important part of the hackfest (at least from my personal point of view) are the breakout sessions and discussions we organize about different interest topics.

During one of these sessions we talked about the status of things regarding WPT. WPT is working really fine for Chromium and Firefox, however WebKit is still lagging behind as synchronization is still manual there. Let’s hope things will improve in the future on the WebKit side.

We also highlighted that the number of dynamic tests on WPT are less than expected, we discarded issues with the infrastructure and think that the problems are more on the side of people writing the tests, that somehow forget to cover cases when things changes dynamically.

Apart from that James Graham put over the table the results from the last MDN survey, which showed interoperability as one of the most important issues for web developers. WPT is helping with interop but despite of the improvements on that regard this is still a big problem for authors. We didn’t have any good answer about how to fix that, in my case I shared some ideas that could help to improve things at some point:

  • Mandatory tests for specs: This is already happening for some specs like HTML but not for all of them. If we manage to reach a point where every change on a spec comes with a test, probably interoperability on initial implementations will be much better. It’s easy to understand why this is not happening as people working on specs are usually very overloaded.
  • Common forum to agree on shipping features: This is a kind of utopia, as each company has their own priorities, but if we had a place were the different browser vendors talk in order to reach an agreement about when to ship a feature, that would make web author’s lifes much easier. We somehow managed to do that when we shipped CSS Grid Layout almost simultaneously in the different browsers, if we could repeat that success story for more features in the future that would be awesome.

Debugging tools

One of the afternoons we did a breakout session related to debugging tools.

First Christian Biesinger showed us JdDbg which is an amazing tool to explore data structures in the web browser (like the DOM, layout or accessibility trees). All the information is updated live while you debug your code, and you can access all of them on a single view very comfortably.

Afterwards Emilio Cobos explained how to use the reverse debugger rr. With this tool you can record a bug and then replay it as many times as you need going back and forward in time. Also Emilio showed how to annotate all the output so you can go directly to that moment in time, or how to randomize the execution to help caught race conditions. As a result of this explanation we got a bug fixed in WebKitGTK+.

Other

About MathML Fred’s talk finished sending the intent-to-implement mail to blink-dev officially announcing the beginning of the upstreaming process. Since then a bunch of patches have already landed behind a runtime flag, you can follow the progress on Chromium issue #6606 if you’re interested.

On the last day a few of us even attended the CSS Working Group confcall during the hackfest, which worked as a test for Igalia office’s infrastructure thinking on the face-to-face meeting we’ll be hosting next January.

People attending the CSSWG confcall (from left to right: Oriol, Emilio, fantasai, Christian and Brian) People attending the CSSWG confcall (from left to right: Oriol, Emilio, fantasai, Christian and Brian)

As a side note, this time we arranged a guided city tour around A Coruña and, despite of the weather, people seemed to have enjoyed it.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to everyone coming, we’re really happy for the lovely feedback you always share about the event, you’re so kind! ☺

Of course, kudos to the speakers for the effort working on such a nice set of interesting talks. 👏

Last, but not least, big thanks to the hackfest sponsors: Arm, Google, Igalia and Mozilla. Your support is critical to make this event possible, you rock. 🎸

Web Engines Hackfest 2019 sponsors: Google and Igalia Web Engines Hackfest 2019 sponsors: Arm, Google, Igalia and Mozilla

See you all next year. Some news about the next edition will be announced very soon, stay tuned!

November 13, 2019 11:00 PM

October 28, 2019

Adrián Pérez

The Road to WebKit 2.26: a Six Month Retrospective

Now that version 2.26 of both WPE WebKit and WebKitGTK ports have been out for a few weeks it is an excellent moment to recap and take a look at what we have achieved during this development cycle. Let's dive in!

  1. New Features
  2. Security
  3. Cleanups
  4. Releases, Releases!
  5. Buildbot Maintenance
  6. One More Thing

New Features

Emoji Picker

The GTK emoji picker has been integrated in WebKitGTK, and can be accessed with Ctrl-Shift-; while typing on input fields.

GNOME Web showing the GTK emoji picker.

Data Lists

WebKitGTK now supports the <datalist> HTML element (reference), which can be used to list possible values for an <input> field. Form fields using data lists are rendered as an hybrid between a combo box and a text entry with type–ahead filtering.

GNOME Web showing an <input> entry with completion backed by <datalist>.

WPE Renderer for WebKitGTK

The GTK port now supports reusing components from WPE. While there are no user-visible changes, with many GPU drivers a more efficient buffer sharing mechanism—which takes advantage of DMA-BUF, if available—is used for accelerated compositing under Wayland, resulting in better performance.

Packagers can disable this feature at build time passing -DUSE_WPE_RENDERER=OFF to CMake, which could be needed for systems which cannot provide the needed libwpe and WPEBackend-fdo libraries. It is recommended to leave this build option enabled, and it might become mandatory in the future.

In-Process DNS Cache

Running a local DNS caching service avoids doing queries to your Internet provider’s servers when applications need to resolve the same host names over and over—something web browsers do! This results in faster browsing, saves bandwidth, and partially compensates for slow DNS servers.

Patrick and Carlos have implemented a small cache inside the Network Process which keeps in memory a maximum of 400, valid for 60 seconds. Even though it may not seem like much, this improves page loads because most of the time the resources needed to render a page are spread across a handful of hosts and their cache entries will be reused over and over.

Promotional image of the “Gone in 60 Seconds” movie.
This image has nothing to do with DNS, except for the time entries are kept in the cache.

While it is certainly possible to run a full-fledged DNS cache locally (like dnsmasq or systemd-resolved, which many GNU/Linux setups have configured nowadays), WebKit can be used in all kinds of devices and operating systems which may not provide such a service. The caching benefits all kinds of systems, with embedded devices (where running an additional service is often prohibitive) benefiting the most, and therefore it is always enabled by default.

Security

Remember Meltdown and Spectre? During this development cycle we worked on mitigations against side channel attacks like these. They are particularly important for a Web engine, which can download and execute code from arbitrary servers.

Subprocess Sandboxing

Both WebKitGTK and WPE WebKit follow a multi-process architecture: at least there is the “UI Process”, an application that embeds WebKitWebView widget; the “Web Process” (WebKitWebProcess, WPEWebProcess) which performs the actual rendering, and the “Network Process” (WebKitNetworkProcess, WPENetworkProcess) which takes care of fetching content from the network and also manages caches and storage.

Patrick Griffis has led the effort to add support in WebKit to isolate the Web Process from the rest of the system, running it with restricted access to the rest of the system. This is achieved using Linux namespaces—the same underlying building blocks used by containerization technologies like LXC, Kubernetes, or Flatpak. As a matter of fact, we use the same building blocks as Flatpak: Bubblewrap, xdg-dbus-proxy, and libseccomp. This not only makes it more difficult for a website to snoop on other processes' data: it also limits potential damage to the rest of the system caused by maliciously crafted content, because the Web Process is where most of which it is parsed and processed.

This feature is built by default, and using it in applications is only one function call away.

PSON

Process Swap On (cross-site) Navigation is a new feature which makes it harder for websites to steal information from others: rendering of pages from different sites always takes place in different processes. In practice, each security origin uses a different Web Process (see above) for rendering, and while navigating from one page to another new processes will be launched or terminated as needed. Chromium's Site Isolation works in a similar way.

Unfortunately, the needed changes ended up breaking a few important applications which embed WebKitGTK (like GNOME Web or Evolution) and we had to disable the feature for the GTK port just before its 2.26.0 release—it is still enabled in WPE WebKit.

Our plan for the next development cycle is keep the feature disabled by default, and to provide a way for applications to opt-in. Unfortunately it cannot be done the other way around because the public WebKitGTK API has been stable for a long time and we cannot afford breaking backwards compatibility.

HSTS

This security mechanism helps protect websites against protocol downgrade attacks: Web servers can declare that clients must interact using only secure HTTPS connections, and never revert to using unencrypted HTTP.

During the last few months Claudio Saavedra has completed the support for HTTP Strict Transport Security in libsoup—our networking backend—and the needed support code in WebKit. As a result, HSTS support is always enabled.

New WebSockets Implementation

The WebKit source tree includes a cross-platform WebSockets implementation that the GTK and WPE ports have been using. While great for new ports to be able to support the feature, it is far from optimal: we were duplicating network code because libsoup also implements them.

Now that HSTS support is in place, Claudio and Carlos decided that it was a good moment to switch libsoup's implementation so WebSockets can now also benefit from it. This also made possible to provide the RFC-7692 permessage-deflate extension, which enables applications to request compression of message payloads.

To ensure that no regressions would be introduced, Claudio also added support in libsoup for running the Autobahn 🛣 test suite, which resulted in a number of fixes.

Cleanups

During this release cycle we have deprecated the single Web Process mode, and trying to enable it using the API is a no-op. The motivation for this is twofold: in the same vein of PSON and sanboxing, we would rather not allow applications to make side channel attacks easier; not to mention that the changes needed in the code to accommodate PSON would make it extremely complicated to keep the existing API semantics. As this can potentially be trouble for some applications, we have been in touch with packagers, supporting them as best as we can to ensure that the new WebKitGTK versions can be adopted without regressions.

Another important removal was the support for GTK2 NPAPI browser plug-ins. Note that NPAPI plug-ins are still supported, but if they use GTK they must use version 3.x—otherwise they will not be loaded. The reason for this is that GTK2 cannot be used in a program which uses GTK3, and vice versa. To circumvent this limitation, in previous releases we were building some parts of the WebKit source code twice, each one using a different version of GTK, resulting in two separate binaries: we have only removed the GTK2 one. This allowed for a good clean up of the source tree, reduced build times, and killed one build dependency. With NPAPI support being sunsetted in all browsers, the main reason to keep some degree of support for it is the Flash plug-in. Sadly its NPAPI version uses GTK2 and it does not work starting with WebKitGTK 2.26.0; on the other hand, it is still possible to run the PPAPI version of Flash through FreshPlayerPlugin if needed.

Releases, Releases!

Last March we released WebKitGTK 2.24 and WPE WebKit 2.24 in sync, and the same for the current stable, 2.26. As a matter of fact, most releases since 2.22 have been done in lockstep and this has been working extremely well.

Hannibal Smith, happy about the simultaneous releases.

Both ports share many of their components, so it makes sense to stabilize and prepare them for a new release series at the same time. Many fixes apply to both ports, and the few that not hardly add noise to the branch. This allows myself and Carlos García to split the effort of backporting fixes to the stable branch as well—though I must admit that Carlos has often done more.

Buildroot ♥ WebKit

Those using Buildroot to prepare software images for various devices will be happy to know that packages for the WPE WebKit components have been imported a while ago into the source tree, and have been available since the 2019.05 release.

Two years ago I dusted off the webkitgtk package, bringing it up to the most recent version at the time, keeping up with updates and over time I have been taking care of some of its dependencies (libepoxy, brotli, and woff2) as well. Buildroot LTS releases are now receiving security updates, too.

Last February I had a great time meeting some of the Buildroot developers during FOSDEM, where we had the chance of discussing in person how to go about adding WPE WebKit packages to Buildroot. This ultimately resulted in the addition of packages libwpe, wpebackend-fdo, wpebackend-fdo, and cog to the tree.

My plan is to keep maintaining the Buildroot packages for both WebKit ports. I have also a few improvements in the pipeline, like enabling the sandboxing support (see this patch set) and usage of the WPE renderer in the WebKitGTK package.

Buildbot Maintenance

Breaking the Web is not fun, so WebKit needs extensive testing. The source tree includes tens of thousands of tests which are used to avoid regressions, and those are ran on every commit using Buildbot. The status can be checked at build.webkit.org.

Additionally, there is another set of builders which run before a patch has had the chance of being committed to the repository. The goal is to catch build failures and certain kinds of programmer errors as early as possible, ensuring that the source tree is kept “green”—that is: buildable. This is the EWS, short for Early Warning System, which trawls Bugzilla for new—or updated—patches, schedules builds with them applied, and adds a set of status bubbles in Bugzilla next to them. Igalia also contributes with EWS builders

EWS bot bubbles as shown in Bugzilla
For each platform the EWS adds a status bubble after trying a patch.

Since last April there is an ongoing effort to revamp the EWS infrastructure, which is now using Buildbot as well. Carlos López has updated our machines recently to Debian Buster, then I switched them to the new EWS at ews-build.webkit.org. This is based on Buildbot as well, which brings niceties in the user interface like being able to check the status for the GTK and for the WPE WebKit port conveniently in realtime. Most importantly, this change has brought the average build time from thirteen minutes down to eight, making the “upload patch, check EWS build status” cycle shorter for developers.

Big props to Aakash Jain, who has been championing all the EWS improvements.

One More Thing

Finally, I would like to extend our thanks to everybody who has contributed to WebKit during the 2.26 development cycle, and in particular to the Igalia Multimedia team, who have been hard at work improving our WebRTC support and the GStreamer back-end 🙇.

by aperez (adrian@perezdecastro.org) at October 28, 2019 12:30 AM

October 24, 2019

Xabier Rodríguez Calvar

VCR to WebM with GStreamer and hardware encoding

My family had bought many years ago a Panasonic VHS video camera and we had recorded quite a lot of things, holidays, some local shows, etc. I even got paid 5000 pesetas (30€ more than 20 years ago) a couple of times to record weddings in a amateur way. Since my father passed less than a year ago I have wanted to convert those VHS tapes into something that can survive better technologically speaking.

For the job I bought a USB 2.0 dongle and connected it to a VHS VCR through a SCART to RCA cable.

The dongle creates a V4L2 device for video and is detected by Pulseaudio for audio. As I want to see what I am converting live I need to tee both audio and video to the corresponding sinks and the other part would go to to the encoders, muxer and filesink. The command line for that would be:

gst-launch-1.0 matroskamux name=mux ! filesink location=/tmp/test.webm \
v4l2src device=/dev/video2 norm=255 io-mode=mmap ! queue ! vaapipostproc ! tee name=video_t ! \
queue ! vaapivp9enc rate-control=4 bitrate=1536 ! mux.video_0 \
video_t. ! queue ! xvimagesink \
pulsesrc device=alsa_input.usb-MACROSIL_AV_TO_USB2.0-02.analog-stereo ! 'audio/x-raw,rate=48000,channels=2' ! tee name=audio_t ! \
queue ! pulsesink \
audio_t. ! queue ! vorbisenc ! mux.audio_0

As you can see I convert to WebM with VP9 and Vorbis. Something interesting can be passing norm=255 to the v4l2src element so it’s capturing PAL and the rate-control=4 for VBR to the vaapivp9enc element, otherwise it will use cqp as default and file size would end up being huge.

You can see the pipeline, which is beatiful, here:

As you can see, we’re using vaapivp9enc here which is hardware enabled and having this pipeline running in my computer was consuming more or less 20% of CPU with the CPU absolutely relaxed, leaving me the necessary computing power for my daily work. This would not be possible without GStreamer and GStreamer VAAPI plugins, which is what happens with other solutions whose instructions you can find online.

If for some reason you can’t find vaapivp9enc in Debian, you should know there are a couple of packages for the intel drivers and that the one you should install is intel-media-va-driver. Thanks go to my colleague at Igalia Víctor Jáquez, who maintains gstreamer-vaapi and helped me solving this problem.

My workflow for this was converting all tapes into WebM and then cutting them in the different relevant pieces with PiTiVi running GStreamer Editing Services both co-maintained by my colleague at Igalia, Thibault Saunier.

by calvaris at October 24, 2019 10:27 AM

Brian Kardell

ES Private Class Features: 2 Minute Standards

ES Private Class Features: 2 Minute Standards

A number of proposals come together to provide 'private' versions of most of the class-related concepts from ES6. Let's have a #StandardsIn2Min oriented look...

The new private class features (fields and methods, both instance and static) all use a new # to talk about private-ness. These offer compile time guarantees that only the code in this class, or instances of this class can access these things. In defining and using a private property, for example, you could write:

class Point {
  #x = 0
  #y = 0
  
  constructor(x=0, y=0) {
    this.#x = x
    this.#y = y
  }
  
  toString() {
    return `[${this.#x}, ${this.#y}]`
  }
}

let p = new Point(1,2)

The result is that you can now create a Point object which encapsulates its actual maintenance to these variables. These private properties are not accessible from the outside, as we'll see.

The Sigil and 'private space'

The very new and perhaps most important bit to understand is that the name of private things must begin with the # sigil, and its use is symmetrical. That is - in order to declare a class property as private, its name must begin with a #. To access it again later, you'll use the name beginning with # again, as in this.#x. Attempts to access it from the outside will throw.

// x isn't #x it will log undefined..
console.log(p.x)

// #x used from an instance outside throws.
console.log(p.#x)
  
> Uncaught SyntaxError: Undefined private field undefined: must be declared in an enclosing class

What's subtle but important about this is that the symmetrical use of the sigil lets it be known unambiguously to both compilers and readers whether we intended to access or set something in public space, or private space. This also means that while you can choose the same readable characters, you can't actually wind up with properties with the same names in both spaces: The private ones will always include the sigil

This makes a lot of sense because, for example, the names that you choose for public fields should not be dictated by the internal, private fields of your super class. The following then is entirely possible and valid:

class X {
  name = 'Brian'
  #name = 'NotBrian
  
  constructor() {
    console.log(this.name) // Brian
    console.log(this.#name) // notBrian
  }
}

let x = new X()

console.log(x.name) // Brian
// (attempting to access x.#name throws)

Since the name simply begins with the sigil, it's tempting to think that you can access private fields dynamically, for example, via [] notation. However, you can't. You also cannot access private fields of a Proxy target through the Proxy, they aren't accessible through property descriptors or Object.keys or anything like that. This is by design because (as provided in design discussion notes):

Dynamic access to private fields is contrary to the notion of 'private'.

Why the #, specifically?

Why this particular character was chosen was very widely discussed, and lots of options were weighed. The simplest answer is "That's the one we could make work without fouling up something else."

All the private things

Once you understand the above, the rest flows pretty naturally. We get private methods that are pretty self explanitory:

class Counter extends HTMLElement {
    
  #handleClicked() {
    // do complex internal work
  }

  constructor() {
    super();
    this.#handleClicked = this.#handleClicked.bind(this);
  }

  connectedCallback() {  
    this.addEventLister('onclick', this.#handleClicked)
  }

}

and private static fields too...

class Colors {
  static #red = "#ff0000";
  static #green = "#00ff00";
  static #blue = "#0000ff";
}
Learn More

This is, of course, merely an 2 minute introduction. To learn a lot more details about this, including it's history, rationale about design choices, find links to the spec draft, and much more, check out the TC39 Proposal Repo. For considerably more detail about the particular design choices, there's also an FAQ

October 24, 2019 04:00 AM

October 08, 2019

Andy Wingo

thoughts on rms and gnu

Yesterday, a collective of GNU maintainers publicly posted a statement advocating collective decision-making in the GNU project. I would like to expand on what that statement means to me and why I signed on.

For many years now, I have not considered Richard Stallman (RMS) to be the head of the GNU project. Yes, he created GNU, speaking it into existence via prophetic narrative and via code; yes, he inspired many people, myself included, to make the vision of a GNU system into a reality; and yes, he should be recognized for these things. But accomplishing difficult and important tasks for GNU in the past does not grant RMS perpetual sovereignty over GNU in the future.

ontological considerations

More on the motivations for the non serviam in a minute. But first, a meta-point: the GNU project does not exist, at least not in the sense that many people think it does. It is not a legal entity. It is not a charity. You cannot give money to the GNU project. Besides the manifesto, GNU has no by-laws or constitution or founding document.

One could describe GNU as a set of software packages that have been designated by RMS as forming part, in some way, of GNU. But this artifact-centered description does not capture movement: software does not, by itself, change the world; it lacks agency. It is the people that maintain, grow, adapt, and build the software that are the heart of the GNU project -- the maintainers of and contributors to the GNU packages. They are the GNU of whom I speak and of whom I form a part.

wasted youth

Richard Stallman describes himself as the leader of the GNU project -- the "chief GNUisance", he calls it -- but this position only exists in any real sense by consent of the people that make GNU. So what is he doing with this role? Does he deserve it? Should we consent?

To me it has been clear for many years that to a first approximation, the answer is that RMS does nothing for GNU. RMS does not write software. He does not design software, or systems. He does hold a role of accepting new projects into GNU; there, his primary criteria is not "does this make a better GNU system"; it is, rather, "does the new project meet the minimum requirements".

By itself, this seems to me to be a failure of leadership for a software project like GNU. But unfortunately when RMS's role in GNU isn't neglect, more often as not it's negative. RMS's interventions are generally conservative -- to assert authority over the workings of the GNU project, to preserve ways of operating that he sees as important. See for example the whole glibc abortion joke debacle as an example of how RMS acts, when he chooses to do so.

Which, fair enough, right? I can hear you saying it. RMS started GNU so RMS decides what it is and what it can be. But I don't accept that. GNU is about practical software freedom, not about RMS. GNU has long outgrown any individual contributor. I don't think RMS has the legitimacy to tell this group of largely volunteers what we should build or how we should organize ourselves. Or rather, he can say what he thinks, but he has no dominion over GNU; he does not have majority sweat equity in the project. If RMS actually wants the project to outlive him -- something that by his actions is not clear -- the best thing that he could do for GNU is to stop pretending to run things, to instead declare victory and retire to an emeritus role.

Note, however, that my personal perspective here is not a consensus position of the GNU project. There are many (most?) GNU developers that still consider RMS to be GNU's rightful leader. I think they are mistaken, but I do not repudiate them for this reason; we can work together while differing on this and other matters. I simply state that I, personally, do not serve RMS.

selective attrition

Though the "voluntary servitude" questions are at the heart of the recent joint statement, I think we all recognize that attempts at self-organization in GNU face a grave difficulty, even if RMS decided to retire tomorrow, in the way that GNU maintainers have selected themselves.

The great tragedy of RMS's tenure in the supposedly universalist FSF and GNU projects is that he behaves in a way that is particularly alienating to women. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that if you're personally driving away potential collaborators, that's a bad thing for the organization, and actively harmful to the organization's goals: software freedom is a cause that is explicitly for everyone.

We already know that software development in people's free time skews towards privilege: not everyone has the ability to devote many hours per week to what is for many people a hobby, and it follows of course that those that have more privilege in society will be more able to establish a position in the movement. And then on top of these limitations on contributors coming in, we additionally have this negative effect of a toxic culture pushing people out.

The result, sadly, is that a significant proportion of those that have stuck with GNU don't see any problems with RMS. The cause of software freedom has always run against the grain of capitalism so GNU people are used to being a bit contrarian, but it has also had the unfortunate effect of creating a cult of personality and a with-us-or-against-us mentality. For some, only a traitor would criticise the GNU project. It's laughable but it's a thing; I prefer to ignore these perspectives.

Finally, it must be said that there are a few GNU people for whom it's important to check if the microphone is on before making a joke about rape culture. (Incidentally, RMS had nothing to say on that issue; how useless.)

So I honestly am not sure if GNU as a whole effectively has the demos to make good decisions. Neglect and selective attrition have gravely weakened the project. But I stand by the principles and practice of software freedom, and by my fellow GNU maintainers who are unwilling to accept the status quo, and I consider attempts to reduce GNU to founder-loyalty to be mistaken and without legitimacy.

where we're at

Given this divided state regarding RMS, the only conclusion I can make is that for the foreseeable future, GNU is not likely to have a formal leadership. There will be affinity groups working in different ways. It's not ideal, but the differences are real and cannot be papered over. Perhaps in the medium term, GNU maintainers can reach enough consensus to establish a formal collective decision-making process; here's hoping.

In the meantime, as always, happy hacking, and: no gods! No masters! No chief!!!

by Andy Wingo at October 08, 2019 03:34 PM

October 02, 2019

Paulo Matos

A Brief Look at the WebKit Workflow

As I learn about the workflow for contributing to JSC (the JavaScript Compiler) in WebKit, I took a few notes as I went along. However, I decided to write them as a post in the hope that they are useful for you as well. If you use git, a Unix based system, and want to start contributing to WebKit, keep on reading.

More…

by Paulo Matos at October 02, 2019 01:00 PM

September 16, 2019

Brian Kardell

Beyond Browser Vendors

Beyond Browser Vendors

I'd like to explain what I think is potentially the most exciting set of changes that have taken place in the latter stages of the Web's history: Why we are now collectively considerably more in control of our own destinies and have moved "beyond browser vendors".

For most of the history of the Web, browser vendors have played an exceptionally critical role in standardization. This isn't a secret, in fact, it's widely discussed. What is less widely discussed is why that is. Frequently, most of our discussions give this very political origins, or assume it is about power struggles. But in fact, much of it has been for pretty considerably less intriguing reasons: It was a sort of predictable, natural outflow of the reality that we had created.

The first popular web browser (Mosiac) was proprietary. For a good chunk of our history, either all or most of the deployed browsers were built upon proprietary stuff, managed entirely by a single company.

This matters a lot because it meant that, practically speaking, everyone who is not a browser, including the myriad of organizations that participate in standards efforts are, effectively asking a small number of companies to invest money and manage priorities and budgets very particularly.

Mundane Realities

What's very, very difficult to appreciate from the outside is just how much is impacted, historically, by the fairly boring and entirely mundane fact above and that browser vendors aren't actually that special.

That is, they ultimately operate very much like most other organizations: They have a budget, carved out of some larger company. That company has some larger goals.

Their organization has an org chart with managers, teams, and projects, and QAs. They hire staff with specialized skills (these can be quite specialized). They have tasks and processes and annual reviews, and goals, and so on.

Code and approaches are adapted, they look for ways to improve performance, extend ideas, make things more modular, and so on.

Each quarter, then, managers have to decide how to maximize the budget in a way that includes an intersection of things in the pipeline (or that they might be interested in introducing), which best align with larger organizational goals,for which they have free resources with the right skills to do that work this quarter.

The Under Discussed, Big Impacts

If you can imagine a conveyor belt of ideas that ultimately land as tasks to be implemented, you can understand some of the problem. Even given the exact same inputs, different people can make pretty different, but entirely reasonable and defensible choices. And the inputs aren't remotely the same. Perhaps it takes one vendor twice as long to implement because this feature is much harder in their architecture, or they simply have less resources, or perhaps they're in the middle of reworking their layout, or... There are myriad reasons why these things get prioritized and worked differently.

If you were to consider nothing else at all, you can see why things get gummed up. There is an absolute gauntlet that something has to run in order to become a standard, even when there isn't particular controversy.

Practically speaking, this leads to misses. It leads to things backing up. The more backed up things get, the less likely a browser vendor is to entertain new ideas and spend a lot of time discussing things that doesn't directly align with their existing investments and priorities.

Things that come from another vendor, on the other hand, are more likely to place more direct pressure on them to respond.

Worse still, this creates kind of a feedback loop that ultimately winds up with a reality that yields near total practical domination of Web standards by browser vendors for reasons that aren't really especially political ones. These outcomes are not because of controvery, nor even particularly intentional.

A different story...

"But we do manage to get things done, even big things, rather quickly, when we really want to, right?" Is a refrain I've heard a lot. What about CSS Grid, for example? Grid seemed to drop everywhere at pretty much the same time, in 2017. It seemed like it happened very quickly to many of us, and I've heard this comment a number of times. If this isn't and illustration of vendors aligning on big ideas, prioritizing things, and getting things done fast when they want to, I don't know what is... Right? Here's the interesting part: It isn't that at all.

And what it is is far more interesting and exciting.

The backstory of CSS Grid

In 1996, Bert Bos, Dave Raggett, and Håkon Lie were the authors of a proposal called "Frame-Based Layout" which attempted to tackle the idea of a grid-oriented layout controlled by CSS. That completely failed to get uptake and implementations.

At the end of 2005, Bert Bos put some of these ideas forward again in CSS Advanced Layout. This kind of then became CSS Template Layout in 2009. Not one browser shipped any of this. It was important to the print industry though, so they invested and made their own renderers for print.

Fast foward to 2011, Microsoft reframes this work as Grid Layout and pretty much just documented what they shipped in IE10. But then, that's it. It sat there, in no small part because it had some real problems, having been mostly developed by Microsoft for specific use cases.

But then something changed, what? Well, a lot of things, but very importantly, the model of it all.

Open

Something happened along the way in our history: Both the standards process, and the the Web Platform itself got increasingly open.

In fact, today all of the implementations are open, and that's a big part of how we moved grid.

Most of the work on CSS Grid in both WebKit and Chromium (Blink) was done, not by Google or Apple, but by teams at Igalia.

Think about that for a minute: The prioritization of its work was determined in 2 browsers not by a vendor, but by an investment from Bloomberg who had the foresight to fund this largely uncontroversial work.

This isn't a unique story, it's just a really important and highly visible one that's fun to hold up. In fact, just in the last 6 months engineers as Igalia have worked on CSS Containment, ResizeObserver, BigInt, private fields and methods, responsive image preloading, CSS Text Level 3, bringing MathML to Chromium, normalizing SVG and MathML DOMs and a lot more.

Igalia loves open, and open standards - it's what we do. We participate in TC39, W3C, WHATWG and Khronos. We work on V8, JavaScriptCore, SpiderMonkey. Our teams work on Chromium, Gecko/Servo, WebKit. We work very closely with browser vendors. Openness can really change the economics involved and remove some previously difficult hurdles. This allows us all (including browsers vendors) to address more of those things than we could before.

The possibilities

This is the really exciting reason that I came to work at Igalia: Igalia potentially entirely shifts the standards paradigm. All this stuff still has a lot of costs to manage along the way. Browsers still play a hugely important role in reviews, managing questions of maintenance and so on - but, finally, we can begin to imagine a world in where we can more collectively prioritize and cooperate.

Imagine the possibilities of all of the things we could get done together. Lots and lots of stuff is just stuck- and many of the causes for this are ultimately because of things that are more organizational than because something is particularly controversial. We can help break the cycle and give those uncontroversial things implementation priority.

All we have to do is decide a thing is important enough, and there are lots of ways to do that. We're already doing a lot and I think we've just begun to scratch the surface of what is possible.

Imagine, for example, a world in which organizations or groups very interested in moving a set of topics simply came together and helped collectively prioritize and fund the efforts of those things, for example. We could get things done. Things that have lingered. Honestly, the possibilities seem endless: From discrete proposals that are critically important to a small group to broad ideas like color systems that touch everything from design to accessibility... Or, good print support from the same rendering engines? New core capabilities to help make things more extensible that are just moving too slow?

Our possible future is very exciting, and more than ever in our collective hands to determine! If you're interested in learning more, or have questions, you can contact Igalia, or come and find me at TPAC if you happen to be here.

September 16, 2019 04:00 AM

September 15, 2019

Eleni Maria Stea

GUADEC 2019 took place in my city! Also: my helloworld in Rust.

This year (2019) GUADEC took place in my city, Thessaloniki. Although I’ve never had any direct contributions to GNOME I wouldn’t miss the opportunity to attend the conference: the traveling time to the venue was about 15 minutes! Igalia was among the sponsors and I had the opportunity to meet some colleagues of mine that … Continue reading GUADEC 2019 took place in my city! Also: my helloworld in Rust.

by hikiko at September 15, 2019 01:07 PM

August 26, 2019

Alberto Garcia

The status of WebKitGTK in Debian

Like all other major browser engines, WebKit is a project that evolves very fast with releases every few weeks containing new features and security fixes.

WebKitGTK is available in Debian under the webkit2gtk name, and we are doing our best to provide the most up-to-date packages for as many users as possible.

I would like to give a quick summary of the status of WebKitGTK in Debian: what you can expect and where you can find the packages.

  • Debian unstable (sid): The most recent stable version of WebKitGTK (2.24.3 at the time of writing) is always available in Debian unstable, typically on the same day of the upstream release.
  • Debian testing (bullseye): If no new bugs are found, that same version will be available in Debian testing a few days later.
  • Debian stable (buster): WebKitGTK is covered by security support for the first time in Debian buster, so stable releases that contain security fixes will be made available through debian-security. The upstream dependencies policy guarantees that this will be possible during the buster lifetime. Apart from security updates, users of Debian buster will get newer packages during point releases.
  • Debian experimental: The most recent development version of WebKitGTK (2.25.4 at the time of writing) is always available in Debian experimental.

In addition to that, the most recent stable versions are also available as backports.

  • Debian stable (buster): Users can get the most recent stable releases of WebKitGTK from buster-backports, usually a couple of days after they are available in Debian testing.
  • Debian oldstable (stretch): While possible we are also providing backports for stretch using stretch-backports-sloppy. Due to older or missing dependencies some features may be disabled when compared to the packages in buster or testing.

You can also find a table with an overview of all available packages here.

One last thing: as explained on the release notes, users of i386 CPUs without SSE2 support will have problems with the packages available in Debian buster (webkit2gtk 2.24.2-1). This problem has already been corrected in the packages available in buster-backports or in the upcoming point release.

by berto at August 26, 2019 01:13 PM

Miyoung Shin

Why should we use a precise-width integer type?

Introduction
A few months ago, I’ve finished the task of replacing imprecise-width integer types like (unsigned) short, int, long, long long by precise-width integer types like (u)int16/int32/int64_t in Blink.. I’ve been working on the Onion Soup project and it was my first task of this project. When I took this task, I thought it would be comparatively simple and quite mechanical work, but this was not the case. It was sometimes required to understand whole code flow in-depth even out of blink or to explain the benefit of such changes to reviewers.

I’d like to introduce why we should prefer using the precise-width integer type and what I did for this task.

Why should we use the precise-width integer type?
We should keep in mind the fact that the c++ standards don’t specify the specific size of each integer type.

Data Model Table

Data model sizeof(int) sizeof(long) sizeof(long long) example
LP32 16b 32b 64b Win16
ILP32 32b 32b 64b Win32, i386 OSX & Linux
LP64 32b 64b 64b x86-64 OSX & Linux
LLP64 32b 32b 64b Win64

Chromium supports various platforms with one repository and shows definitely the variable of different sizes with (unsigned) long between Android-Kitkat/MacOS/Win7 buildbots and other buildbots for try-bots. It means that it would have potential security issues like the stack overflow if we treat that long has 64 bits precise since the size of long is 64 bits like long long on almost all of build systems. And we should avoid mixing the use of the precise-width integer type and the imprecise-width integer type to store the same value.

Actually, after working on this I got a report mentioning that my changes to move from imprecise-width to precise-width types fixed a security issue. This made me realize that more existing issues could still be fixed this way, and I started fixing other ones reported via ClusterFuzz after that.

Google also recommends this in its own coding styleguide, see here.

Summary of my contributions in Blink
1) Decided the order of the changing type.

unsigned short -> uint16_t / short -> int16_t
unsigned long long -> uint64_t / long long -> int64_t
unsigned long -> uint32_t or uint64_t, long -> int32_t or int64_t

2) Wrote the patch including only related codes.

3) Found what is the proper type.
Which type is proper between uint32_t and uint64_t when I should change unsigned long?
Every time I asked myself the question since I had to consider the fact that unsigned long was 32 bit on Mac, Android-kitkat and Window7 buildbot and was 64 bit on others so far. So I needed to understand its code flow and the use cases not only in Blink but also out of Blink. In general, it would be best to avoid integer-width conversions where possible and to only convert to larger types when needed.

4) Utilized the template instead of the functions for each type
I reduced the code quantity with the template and avoided the build error by duplicated definition.

5) Used base::Optional when the initial value is ambiguous.
In general the variable’s initial value would be 0 or -1, but base::Optional is more readable and simple than comparing 0 or -1 to check the initial value. Actually, I needed to reach a consensus with the review since it could change the code logic.

bool HasValidSnapshotMetadata() const { return snapshot_size_ >= 0; }
long long snapshot_size_;

Instead,

bool HasValidSnapshotMetadata() const { return snapshot_size_.has_value(); }
base::Optional<uint64_t> snapshot_size_;

6) Used CheckedNumeric to check the overflow of the variable.

static bool SizeCalculationMayOverflow(unsigned width,
                                         unsigned height,
                                         unsigned decoded_bytes_per_pixel) {
    unsigned long long total_size = static_cast<unsigned long long>(width) *
                                    static_cast<unsigned long long>(height);
    if (decoded_bytes_per_pixel == 4)
      return total_size > ((1 << 29) - 1);
    return total_size > ((1 << 28) - 1);
}

The above code was the old one before I changed and it was for checking if the variable has the overflow, I took some time to fully understand it.
I’ve used CheckedNumeric since the reviewer let me know this utility. As you can see from the code below, it has been changed to be simple and readable.

  inline bool SizeCalculationMayOverflow(unsigned width,
                                         unsigned height,
                                         unsigned decoded_bytes_per_pixel) {
    base::CheckedNumeric<int32_t> total_size = width;
    total_size *= height;
    total_size *= decoded_bytes_per_pixel;
    return !total_size.IsValid();
  }

7) Oops! MSVC!
The below code shows the different results due to compilers.

class Foo {
    uint16_t a;
    unsigned b : 16;
};
std::cout << sizeof(Foo);

The results are from clang : 4 bytes, gcc : 4 bytes and msvc : 8 bytes

So, it caused the build break with MSVC toolchain on Windows buildbots as the class size was increased. It took a long time to analyze the cause and solve this issue.

In conclusion, it was very simple to fix. See the code below.

class Foo {
    unsigned a : 16;
    unsigned b : 16;
};

8) Brought out the potential issue with with the overflow.
Blink can handle the width and height within 4 bytes range. The old code showed the abnormal layout result with overflowed width/height but it did not crash. I added the assertion code to check if there is the overflow when changing the type. Finally, we prevent the overflow and solve to layout the object’s position and size within the maximum value of 4 bytes.

9) Added PRESUBMIT check.
Now that we cleaned up the Blink code from the imprecise-width types, a PRESUBMIT hook was added to prevent them from being reintroduced to the sourcebase. So I added the PRESUBMIT check to ensure new uses do not come in again.

10) Why do we still use int and unsigned?
This is the comment of the reviewer and I also agree with it.

Thee C++ style guide states "We use int very often, for integers we know are not going to be too big, e.g., loop counters. Use plain old int for such things. You should assume that an int is at least 32 bits, but don't assume that it has more than 32 bits. If you need a 64-bit integer type, use int64_t or uint64_t."
The style guide does state not to use the imprecise-width integers like long long/long/short, but int is the imprecise-width type that is explicitly preferred. Among other reasons, this is likely for readability and the fact that ints are by default the "native"/fastest type, and potentially large concerns over code churn. More there is not any benefit to replace int to int32t and potentially large concerns over code churn.

I’m happy to contribute to Chromium & Blink with more stable code through changing to the precise-width integer type and to learn more about this particular domain.

References
[1] https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/types
[2] http://nickdesaulniers.github.io/blog/2016/05/30/data-models-and-word-size/

by mshin at August 26, 2019 07:59 AM

August 22, 2019

Alejandro Piñeiro

ARB_gl_spirv and ARB_spirv_extension support for i965 landed Mesa master

And something more visible thanks to that: now the Intel Mesa driver exposes OpenGL 4.6 support, the most recent version of OpenGL.

As perhaps you could recall, the i965 Intel driver became 4.6 conformant last year. You have more details about that, and what being conformant means in this Iago blog post. On that blog post Iago mentioned that it was passing with an early version of the ARB_gl_spirv support, that we were improving and interating during this time so it could be included on Mesa master. At the same time, the CTS tests were only testing the specifics of the extensions, and we wanted a more detailed testing, so we also were adding more tests on the piglit test suite, written manually for ARB_gl_spirv or translated from existing GLSL tests.

Why did it take so long?

Perhaps some would wonder why it took so much time. There were several reasons, but the main one, was related to the need to add a lot of code related to linking on NIR. On a previous blog post ( Introducing Mesa intermediate representations on Intel drivers with a practical example) I mentioned that there were several intermediate languages on Mesa.

So, for the case of the Intel driver, for GLSL, we had a chain like this:

GLSL -> AST -> Mesa IR -> NIR -> Intel backend IR

Now ARB_gl_spirv introduces the possibility to use SPIR-V instead of GLSL. Thanks to the Vulkan support on Mesa, there is a SPIR-V to NIR pass, so the chain for that case would be something like this:

SPIR-V -> NIR -> Intel backend IR

So, at first sight, this seems like it should be more simple, as there is one intermediate step less. But there is a problem. On Vulkan there is no need of a really complex shader linking. Basically gathering some info from the NIR shader. But OpenGL requires more. Even though the extension doesn’t required error validation, the spec points that queries and other introspection utilities should work naturally, as long as they don’t require names (names are considered debug info on SPIR-V). So for example, on Vulkan you can’t ask the shader about how big an SSBO is in order to allocate the space needed for it. It is assumed that you know that. But in OpenGL you can, and as you could do that using just the SSBO binding, ARB_gl_spirv requires that you still support that.

And here resided the main issue. On Mesa most of the linking is done at the Mesa IR level, with some help when doing the AST to Mesa IR pass. So the new intermediate language chain lacked it.

The first approach was trying to convert just the needed NIR stuff back to Mesa IR and then call the Mesa IR linker, but that was working only on some limited cases. Additionally, for this extension the linker rules change significantly. As mentioned, on SPIR-V names are optional. So everything needs to work without names. In fact, the current support just ignores names, for simplicity, and to ensure that everything works without it. So we ended up writing a new linker, based on NIR, and based on ARB_gl_spirv needs.

The other main reason for the delay was the significant changes on the SPIR-V to NIR pass, and NIR in general, to support SSBO/UBO (derefs were added), and also the native support of transform feedback, as Vulkan added a new extension, that we wanted to use. Here I would like to thank Jason Ekstrand for his support and patience ensuring that all those changes were compatible with our ARB_gl_spirv work.

So how about removing Mesa IR linking?

So, now that it is done, perhaps some people would wonder if this work could be used to remove Mesa IR on the GLSL intermediate language chain. Specially taking into account that there were already some NIR based linking utilities. My opinion is that no 😉

There are several reasons. The main one is that as mentioned ARB_gl_spirv linking rules are different, specifically on the lack of names. GLSL rules are heavily based on names. During the review it was suggested that need could be abstracted somehow, and reuse code. But, that doesn’t solve the issue that current Mesa IR supports the linkage of several different versions of GLSL, and more important, the validation and error checking done there, that is needed for GLSL, but not for ARB_gl_spirv (so it is not done). And that is a really big amount of work needed. In my opinion, redoing that work on NIR would not bring a significant advantage. So the current NIR linker would be just the implementation of a linker focused on the ARB_gl_spirv new rules, and would just share utility NIR based linking methods, or specific subfeatures, as far as possible (like the mentioned transform feedback support).

Final words

If you are interested on more details about the work done to implement ARB_gl_spirv/ARB_spirv_extensions support, you can check the presentation I gave on FOSDEM 2018 (slides, video) and the update I gave the same year on XDC (slides, video).

And finally I would like to thank all the people involved. First, thanks to Nicolai Hähnle for starting the work, that we used as basis.

The Igalia team that worked on it at some point were: Eduardo Lima, Alejandro Piñeiro, Antía Puentes, Neil Roberts, some help from Iago Toral and Samuel Iglesias at the beginning and finally thanks to Arcady Goldmints-Orlov, that dealt with handling the review feedback for the two ~80 patches MR (Mesa and Piglit test suite MR) that I created, when I became needed elsewhere.

And thanks a lot to the all the the reviewers, specially Timothy Arceri, Jason Ekstrand and Caio Marcelo.

Finally, big thanks to Intel for sponsoring our work on Mesa, Piglit, and CTS, and also to Igalia, for having me working on this wonderful project.

by infapi00 at August 22, 2019 11:54 AM

August 20, 2019

Brian Kardell

Top Level Await: 2 Minute Standards

Top Level Await: 2 Minute Standards

My first post in a new effort #StandardsIn2Min to provide short, but useful information about developing standards.

Previously, in order to use await, code needed to be inside a function marked as async. This meant you couldn't use await at the 'top-level' (outside of any function notation). At first, this might seem like a minor annoyance. Just put the code you want to await into an async function() {....}() and call it, right?

Yes, and (mostly) no. While being able to use await at the top-level is generally useful - the real value in it (the problem that it solves) has a lot to do with modules.

Modules are already asynchronous, and have a declarative import and export, and those also expressed at the top-level. The practical implication of this was that if you wanted provide a module which relied on some asynchronus task in order to be useful - for example, connecting to a database - you had really no good options. You might make every method in your own API internally dependent on that promise. But, this is extra complicated. All of your methods need to return promises, whether that makes sense, or not. If errors do occur, they are late, and in the wrong place. Or, you could make your API export that promise somehow. "Somehow" because there are several models for how you can choose to do this. Worse, whichever promise exporting model you chose, users of your module are left with precisely the same problem, creating a kind of domino effect.

That's what the new top-level await proposal (stage 3 as of the time of this writing) really solves. With it, you can write something like this.

// products.js 
import { fictionalDb } from './fictionaldb.js' 
import { config } from './db-config.js'
 
// connect() is promise returning
let connection = await fictionalDb.connect(config)

export default {
	recent: function () {   
	   // use the connection to return recent products
	}
	
	discontinued: function () {
	   // use the connection to return discontinued products	
	}
}

It seems incredibly small - one word on line 6. However, the magic and value really comes in how this module can now be used: You just import it like any other module.

If you're curious about how it works

The real magic here is largely in the definition of a standard protocol that imports and exports can reason about internally. To explain: You can think about modules as really including both their actual expressed exports, and, a new implicit internal promise used by the module system's internal protocol. While you're expressing your dependencies without that, the module system will (roughly) expand this internally as an implicit Promise.all around anything waiting for export.

For example, given the code:

import { a } from './a.mjs';
import { b } from './b.js';
import { c } from './c.js';

console.log(a, b, c)

The module system, internally, sees (again, roughly) this:

import { _internalPromise as aPromise, a } from './a.js';
import { _internalPromise as bPromise, b } from './b.js';
import { _internalPromise as cPromise, c } from './c.js';

// the module system creates this promise 
// and uses it to know your module is ready.
export const _internalPromise = 
	Promise.all([aPromise, bPromise, cPromise])
		.then(() => {
   			console.log(a, b, c);
		});

The net result is that modules are fetched in parallel and executed in order until the first await, and then waits until they are all complete before resolving the module itself.

August 20, 2019 04:00 AM

2 Minute Standards

2 Minute Standards

A short explanation of a new effort

For a while now, we've been running some 'outreach groups'. Originally started informally by my colleague at Igalia, Dan Ehrenberg, it's become a set of monthly meetings with various groups of stakeholders in TC39 and the Web at large which I really look forward to. The groups are meetings of people who work on Tooling, people who work on Frameworks and Libraries and Educators, with folks who work on standards. The goals of all of them, at the end of the day, is to figure out how we all work better, together.

The Educators Group has talked a bit about a number of efforts, but there's one conversation we've been having that I think is pretty interesting. I dont know of any developer who isn't interested in what is going on in standards, but the economics of this is currently kind of hard. We're interested in a whole bunch of other things too. There's lots of good content - too much in fact, coming at us from a million directions and it's all competing for our time and attention. We have jobs, and families, and pets, hobbies and lives. I love a lot of long form things, I'm excited when I see them in my stream, but they pile up and I have to choose. I only have so many slots of time where I can actually afford to consume 10, 15, 30 or 40 minutes worth of information. It can feel a little overwhelming sometimes.

So, we're going to try something new: 2 Minute Standards. Think of it as "standards news, in brief". The basic idea is pretty simple: Like a news segment, it's got to contain pertinent facts, more than a tweet - but it's air time is limited, as the name would suggest, to 2 Minutes. That can come in a number of forms: An article that is 500 words or less, a two minute video, or a short web comic/zine. The idea though is to ultimately give developers some channel with reasonable economics for staying 'generally informed'. In the end, that's frequently what we want anyways: We can't know everything, we just need to know enough to know what it is, why it is, and that it is there when we're ready to learn more. We'd like to be able to roughly understand it if it comes up. A maximum of 2 minutes per day, and almost certainly not even that much, seems... unintimidating and managable.

So, that's the idea. We're still discussing many of the details about how to make this really 'click' in a bigger way: How to create as a sort of channel you can follow? For now, it seems better to start with something simple and perhaps to begin to get feedback on the idea. To this end, we'll post things with the hashtag #StandardsIn2Min, and others can too. If you see something fly by with the hashtag you can always find it again later on the twitter feed and, hopefully, expect that it will take no more than 2 minutes to consume. However, we will also manage the Twitter account @StandardsIn2Min, where we'll work to curate those hashtags too and create a manageable (honestly, probably slow) pace that never asks for more than two minutes of your attention in a day to keep up. Let us know what you think about the idea!

Thanks to the educators group for all of their help discussing and creating, and especially to Laurie Barth and Jory Burson for helping get this post put together quickly!

August 20, 2019 04:00 AM